The software PanXML is a tool to create XML files needed for DOI registration at the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB). An XML file created by PanXML is based on the XSD file article-doi_v3.2.xsd. Further schemas may be added on request.
Find the current version and reference of PanXML at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.746153
Contact: Rainer Sieger. The software is provided as freeware under the (GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is freely distributed without warranty by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven.
Open doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.746153 and click on "View dataset as HTML". Download the current version of PanXML to your computer.
Double-click PanXML_Win.exe and follow the instructions.
Open the downloaded dmg file with a double-click. Drag and drop the file PanXML.app onto the appliction folder icon.
Uncompress the archive to your user bin directory. Double-click PanXML.sh.
Reference and detailed description
Reference list -> XML files
For a large number of articles PanXML can generate the XML files for the DOI registration in a batch process.
Format of control file:
- DOI: the Digital Object Identifier of document (e.g. 10.2312/warnsignal.klima.eis-der-erde.22).
- Authors: the names of the authors of the article. The "; " or "//" is the list delimiter.
- Title: the title of the article without a dot at the end of the line.
- PublicationDate: the year of publication. It will be expanded to the date (yyyy-01-01) of publication needed by the XML Schema.
- Volume: the volume number of the article.
- Issue: the issue number of the article.
- First page: first page of the article.
- Last page: last page of the article.
- Language: Language of document (de = German, en = English, es = Spanish, fr = France, ru = Russian).
- Description: the description field can be filled with a short text without line breaks.
- Discipline: the discipline of the publication (see XSD file for possible disciplines).
- ResourceIdentifier: Identifier of other resource of document.
- ResourceType: the type of identifier (see XSD file for possible types).
- RelatedIdentifier: Identifier of other publication related to document.
- RelationType: the type of relation to document (see XSD file for possible types).
- Format: Format of document (see XSD file for possible formats).
- ProceedingsTitle: the name of journal.
- ProceedingsPublisher: Publisher of journal.
- ProceedingsContributor: Contributor of journal.
- PublicationPlace: the town where the journal was published.
- ProceedingsIdentifier: the identifier of the journal (e.g. ISSN, eISSN, EAN13, see XSD file for possible identifiers).
See also File:Metadata grey literature v3.pdf
Before the process can start, the user has to choose the encoding of the input file (UTF-8, Latin-1, Apple Roman) and to choose the output directory with the button "Browse...". The encoding of the output XML files is always UTF-8.
PanXML asks for the reference list and then creates all XML files for the documents listed in this list.
Send all XML files together with the corresponding PDF files and the XSD file to the TIB. The use of a compression program like 7-Zip is recommended.
Create reference list as template
The user has to create a list of references with an editor that is able to save the document as tab delimited text file (txt). An example for a reference list like that can be created by PanXML with this menu.