The software PanXML is a tool to create XML files needed for DOI registration at the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB). An XML file created by PanXML is based on the XSD file article-doi_v3.2.xsd. Further schemas may be added on request.
Find the current version and reference of PanXML at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.746153
Contact: mailto:email@example.com. The software is provided as freeware under the (GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is freely distributed without warranty by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven.
Open doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.746153 and click on "View dataset as HTML". Download the current version of PanXML to your computer.
Double-click PanXML_Win.exe and follow the instructions. If the MSVCR120.dll is missing on your computer, you have to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Microsoft.
Open the downloaded dmg file with a double-click. Drag and drop the file PanXML.app onto the appliction folder icon.
Uncompress the archive to your user bin directory. Double-click PanXML.sh.
Preparation for DOI
For a large number of articles PanXML can generate the XML files for the DOI registration in a batch process.
See also Metadata for DOI-registration of Articles (published by German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), Hannover) File:Metadata grey literature v3.pdf
1. Prepare control file with reference metadata in the following columns:
- DOI: Digital Object Identifier of document (e.g. 10.2312/warnsignal.klima.eis-der-erde.22).
- Authors: names of authors of the article. The "; " or "//" is the delimiter between names. Format: Family name1, first name1//familiy name2, first name2// familiy name3, firstname3 ...
- Title: title of the article without a dot at the end.
- PublicationDate: year of publication, expanded to the full iso format date (yyyy-01-01) as required by the XML Schema.
- Volume: volume number of the article.
- Issue: issue number of the article.
- First page: first page of the article.
- Last page: last page of the article.
- Language: Language of document (de = German, en = English, es = Spanish, fr = France, ru = Russian).
- Description: the description field can be filled with a short text without line breaks.
- Discipline: the discipline of the publication (see XSD file for possible disciplines).
- ResourceIdentifier: Identifier of an other resource of the document (syntax: hdl:10013/epic.49280).
- ResourceType: type of identifier (see XSD file for possible types).
- RelatedIdentifier: identifier of other publication related to document (syntax: doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.883658).
- RelationType: type of relation to document (see XSD file for possible types - for data supplements use isSupplementTo).
- Format: format of document (see XSD file for possible formats).
- ProceedingsTitle: name of journal.
- ProceedingsPublisher: publisher of journal.
- ProceedingsContributor: contributor of journal.
- PublicationPlace: town where the journal was published.
- ProceedingsIdentifier: the identifier of the journal (e.g. ISSN, eISSN, EAN13, see XSD file for possible identifiers).
2. Prepare articles:
- Store all articles in pdf-format in one folder
- Rename pdf-files with its related DOI suffix (e.g. polarforschung.87.1.15.pdf)
- Start PanXML
- Choose from the Menue Tools/Reference list -> XML files for DOI registration
- Choose control file as prepared in step 1.
- Select encoding of input control file - see (UTF-8, Latin-1, Apple Roman)
- Select output directory
- <OK> will start processing of XML files (encoding is UTF-8)
- Provide XML-files, PDF-files and XSD-file for download by TIB at http://store.pangaea.de/temp/xxxx.zip as zip-archive.
Create reference list as template
The user has to create a list of references with an editor that is able to save the document as tab delimited text file (txt). An example for a reference list like that can be created by PanXML with this menu.