The software Pan2Applic is a tool to convert files or folders of files (ascii/tab-separated data files with or without metaheader), downloaded from PANGAEA via the search engine or the data warehouse to formats as used by applications, e.g. for visualization or further processing. It may also be used to convert files or zip-archives as downloaded from CD-ROM data collections, published in the WDC-MARE Reports series.
Export formats supported by Pan2Applic are
- Google Earth
- Ocean Data View (ODV), oceanographic GIS
- ASCII/text for individual processing
- Shapefile, format as used by GIS applications
Further export formats may be added on request.
Pan2Applic output formats 1-3 are tab-delimited text-files with the extension *.txt. The DOI as a reference to the source of the data will be included in the output dataset. The user is requested to quote all references related to the original data when publishing new products resulting from a PANGAEA or CD download and processing with Pan2Applic. PANGAEA export files and Pan2Applic processed files can be opened by any editor or spreadsheet software.
Find the current version and reference of Pan2Applic at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.288115
Contact: Rainer Sieger. The software is provided as freeware under the (GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is freely distributed without warranty by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven.
Open doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.288115 and click on "View dataset as HTML". Download the current version of Pan2Applic to your computer.
- Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Packages first.
- Double-click Pan2Applic_Win.exe and follow the instructions.
Open the downloaded dmg file with a double-click. Drag and drop the file Pan2Applic.app onto the appliction folder icon.
Uncompress the archive to your user bin directory. Double-click Pan2Applic.sh.
Open http://www.pangaea.de/PHP/CruiseReports.php?b=Polarstern and download the station list of cruise ARK-IX/4. The downloaded file can be open with an editor or with a spreadsheet program like Excel. Drag the file onto the Pan2Applic window and choose Convert->Google Earth.
All bottle datasets of a cruise
Retrieve datasets with PANGAEA Search. In this example we create a query to all bottle datasets of Polarstern leg ARK-X/1:
- define a query which lists all data sets needed http://www.pangaea.de/search?q=ARK-X/1+nutrients
- change www.pangaea.de/search?count=xxx in the query-URL to the number of datasets found. Press return.
- all hits will be listed on one HTML-page. Save the page as HTML-file (select HTML only as file type, not Web page complete (or similarly named)!). Create a new folder on your computer
- start Pan2Applic and choose File->Download PANGAEA datasets...
- choose the HTML-file for the ID list and the new folder for the download directory. Go will start the download. After the download Pan2Applic shows the names of the files.
Choose Options->Ocean Data View and set the options you want. With "Convert->Ocean Data View" the program will create an ODV import file
- in a first step Pan2Applic scans all files and creates a list of environments and parameters.
- choose the environment (if there are several)
- configure the list of columns to display in the ODV import file (Select all)
- start conversion by clicking the OK button
Data from different environments vs. age
- download McManus, JF et al. (1999): Stable carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of Cibicidoides wuellerstorfi in the 340 to 0 kyr section of ODP Site 162-980 in the subpolar North Atlantic. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.700818 and Meyer, H et al. (2006): Stable oxygen isotopes of ice core EDML. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.552270
- drag the two files onto the program window
- choose Convert->Text (unformated)
- select Age [ka BP] in the environment dialog
- select AGE [ka BP], Cibicidoides wuellerstorfi, d18O [per mil PDB], and delta 18O, water [per mil SMOW] in the parameter dialog
Create a shapefile
- download Petschick, R et al. (1996): Grain size distribution of surface sediments of the South Atlantic. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.51464
- drag the file onto the program window
- choose Convert->Shapefile
- Select metadata, geocodes, and parameters