PANGAEA® - Data Publisher for Earth & Environmental Science
is a library for georeferenced data from earth system research. Various scientific data types are archived with detailed description in a relational database. Its content is distributed via web services to portals, search engines and catalogs of libraries and publishers. Data is also retrievable and is accessible through a search engine and a data warehouse. Each data set includes a bibliographic citation and is persistently identified using a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). Pangaea is unique as a data system archiving its content in a structurized order with a high level of internal consistency. This enables users to generate individual new data compilations. Pangaea offers curation for the results of projects and institutes. Individual scientists may archive data as a "publication" or as a supplement related to an article (see data submission). Data are in Open Access and are provided under a Creative Commons license.
PANGAEA is hosted by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz-Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), Bremerhaven and the Center for Marine Environmental Sciences (MARUM), Bremen, Germany. Legal form is a GbR (Gesellschaft bürgerlichen Rechts), operated by the department Pangaea. Pangaea is intended to become a member of the World Data System (WDS).
- If you would like to submit data for archiving or publication, please find advice in the Data submission chapter.
- An introductory presentation to Pangaea is available at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.351396
- A generic data policy for the use of Pangaea is provided at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.327791 and may be adopted for projects as required (see data policy).
Search and retrieve data using different clients:
- 4D client > curators tool to administer any metadata and to import data
- PangaVista > search engine (works similar to Google)
- ART (Advanced Retrieval Tool) > data mining
- DDI (Direct Download Interface) > dynamic query
- PanCore > metadata search
- DOI (Digital Object Identifier) > persistent link
- OAI-PMH for exchange with portals (ISO, DC, XML)
- Web services
System citation with DOI
It is not required to cite Pangaea when using data from the system. Always refer to data by using the data citation which accompanies each data set.
If it is required to refer to Pangaea as publisher or library, the following citation could be used:
- PANGAEA® - Data Publisher for Earth & Environmental Science doi:10.1594/PANGAEA
By default, data in Pangaea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. which means data must be quoted by its citation!
Further details are given on the license page.
www.pangaea.de has alias domains at
- Lemma in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANGAEA_(data_library) (english)
- Lemma in Wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANGAEA (german)
- Recommendations of the Commission on Professional Self Regulation in Science (DFG 1998)
- Budapest Open Access Initiative (2001)
- Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities (2003)
- Göttinger Erklärung zum Urheberrecht für Bildung und Wissenschaft (2004)
- Principles and Guidelines for Access to Research Data from Public Funding (OECD 2007)
- The EUROHORCs and ESF Vision on a Globally Competitive ERA and their Road Map for Actions to Help Build It (ESF 2008)
- Schwerpunktinitiative „Digitale Information“ der Allianz-Partnerorganisationen (2008)
- Empfehlungen zur gesicherten Aufbewahrung und Bereitstellung digitaler Forschungsprimärdaten (DFG 2009)