PANGAEA® - Data Publisher for Earth & Environmental Science
is a publisher and library for georeferenced data from earth system research. Observational and analytical data files are archived with a description (metadata) in a relational database. Its content is distributed via web services to portals, search engines and catalogs of libraries and publishers. Data is retrievable through a search engine and a data warehouse. Each data set includes a bibliographic citation and is persistently identified using a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). Pangaea is unique as a data system archiving its content in a structurized order with a high level of internal consistency which enables users to generate individual data compilations. Pangaea offers service and curation for the data output of projects, institutes and individual scientists. Data can be published as an independent "publication" or as a supplement related to an article (see data submission). Data are in Open Access and are placed under a Creative Commons license.
PANGAEA is hosted by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz-Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), Bremerhaven and the Center for Marine Environmental Sciences (MARUM), Bremen, Germany. Legal form is a GbR (Gesellschaft bürgerlichen Rechts), operated by the department Pangaea. Pangaea is intended to become a member of the World Data System (WDS).
- If you would like to submit data for archiving or publication, please find help in the Data submission chapter.
- An introductory presentation to Pangaea is available at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.351396
- A generic data policy for the use of Pangaea is provided at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.327791 and may be adopted for projects as required (see data policy).
Search and retrieve data using different clients:
- 4D client > curators tool to administer any metadata and to import data
- PangaVista > search engine (works similar to Google)
- ART (Advanced Retrieval Tool) > data mining
- DDI (Direct Download Interface) > dynamic query
- PanCore > metadata search
- DOI (Digital Object Identifier) > persistent link
- OAI-PMH for exchange with portals (ISO, DC, XML)
- Web services
System citation with DOI
It is not required to cite Pangaea when using data from the system. Always refer to data by using the data citation which accompanies each data set.
If it is required to refer to Pangaea as publisher or library, the following citation could be used:
- PANGAEA® - Data Publisher for Earth & Environmental Science doi:10.1594/PANGAEA
The Pangaea database as a whole is protected by law see a.o.:
(see also: Techdoc:Domains)
- Lemma in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANGAEA_(data_library) (english)
- Lemma in Wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANGAEA (german)
- Recommendations of the Commission on Professional Self Regulation in Science (DFG 1998)
- Budapest Open Access Initiative (2001)
- Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities (2003)
- Göttinger Erklärung zum Urheberrecht für Bildung und Wissenschaft (2004)
- Principles and Guidelines for Access to Research Data from Public Funding (OECD 2007)
- The EUROHORCs and ESF Vision on a Globally Competitive ERA and their Road Map for Actions to Help Build It (ESF 2008)
- Schwerpunktinitiative „Digitale Information“ der Allianz-Partnerorganisationen (2008)
- Empfehlungen zur gesicherten Aufbewahrung und Bereitstellung digitaler Forschungsprimärdaten (DFG 2009)