The software Pan2Applic is a tool to convert files or folders of files (ascii/tab-separated data files with or without metaheader), downloaded from PANGAEA via the search engine or the data warehouse to formats as used by applications, e.g. for visualization or further processing. It may also be used to convert files or zip-archives as downloaded from CD-ROM data collections, published in the WDC-MARE Reports series.
Export formats supported by Pan2Applic are
- Google Earth
- Ocean Data View (ODV), oceanographic GIS
- ASCII/text for individual processing
- Shapefile, format as used by GIS applications
Further export formats may be added on request.
Pan2Applic output formats 1-3 are tab-delimited text-files with the extension *.txt. The DOI as a reference to the source of the data will be included in the output dataset. The user is requested to quote all references related to the original data when publishing new products resulting from a PANGAEA or CD download and processing with Pan2Applic. PANGAEA export files and Pan2Applic processed files can be opened by any editor or spreadsheet software.
Find the current version and reference of Pan2Applic at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.288115
Contact: Rainer Sieger. The software is provided as freeware under the (GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is freely distributed without warranty by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven.
Open doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.288115 and click on "View dataset as HTML". Download the current version of Pan2Applic to your computer.
Double-click Pan2Applic_Win.exe and follow the instructions. If the MSVCR120.dll is missing on your computer, you have to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Microsoft.
Open the downloaded dmg file with a double-click. Drag and drop the file Pan2Applic.app onto the appliction folder icon.
Uncompress the archive to your user bin directory. Double-click Pan2Applic.sh.
Open https://pangaea.de/expeditions/cr.php/Polarstern and download the station list of cruise ARK-IX/4. The downloaded file can be open with an editor or with a spreadsheet program like Excel. Drag the file onto the Pan2Applic window and choose Convert->Google Earth.
All Copepoda datasets of POLARSTERN
Retrieve datasets with the PANGAEA Search engine. In this example we create a query to all Copepoda datasets of POLARSTERN published in 2017: Type in "polarstern copepoda". Return. Choose "Dataset Publication Year" = 2017 (https://www.pangaea.de/?q=Polarstern+Copepoda&f.pubyear%5B%5D=2017)
- Start Pan2Applic (File > Download PANGAEA datasets...), copy and paste the URL into the "PANGAEA Query URL" field
- Browse to your download directory
- Set the prefered encoding of data sets to be stored
- Set the extension of data sets to be stored
- Choose one or more download options (download data file, download citation, download metadata as xml)
- Click Go. PanGet downloads all data sets sequentialy, progress is shown. The download time depends on the number and size of the data sets.
Choose Options->Ocean Data View and set the options you want. With "Convert->Ocean Data View" the program will create an ODV import file
- in a first step Pan2Applic scans all files and creates a list of environments and parameters.
- choose the environment (if there are several)
- configure the list of columns to display in the ODV import file (Select all)
- start conversion by clicking the OK button
Data from different environments vs. age
- download McManus, JF et al. (1999): Stable carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of Cibicidoides wuellerstorfi in the 340 to 0 kyr section of ODP Site 162-980 in the subpolar North Atlantic. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.700818 and Meyer, H et al. (2006): Stable oxygen isotopes of ice core EDML. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.552270
- drag the two files onto the program window
- choose Convert->Text (unformated)
- select Age [ka BP] in the environment dialog
- select AGE [ka BP], Cibicidoides wuellerstorfi, d18O [per mil PDB], and delta 18O, water [per mil SMOW] in the parameter dialog
Create a shapefile
- download Petschick, R et al. (1996): Grain size distribution of surface sediments of the South Atlantic. doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.51464
- drag the file onto the program window
- choose Convert->Shapefile
- Select metadata, geocodes, and parameters