The software PanGet is a special tool for the download of multiple data sets from PANGAEA. It uses the PANGAEA data set ID which is unique and part of the DOI. In a first step a list of ID's of those data sets to be downloaded must be created. There are two choices to define this individual collection of sets. Based on the ID list, the tool will download the data sets. Failed downloads are written to the file *_failed.txt. The functionality of PanGet is also part of the program Pan2Applic (choose File > Download PANGAEA datasets...) and PanTool2 (choose Basic tools > Download PANGAEA datasets...).
Find the current version and reference of PanGet at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.804562
Contact: Rainer Sieger. The software is provided as freeware under the (GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is freely distributed without warranty by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven.
Open doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.804562 and click on "View dataset as HTML". Download the current version of PanGet to your computer.
Double-click PanGet_Win.exe and follow the instructions. If the MSVCR120.dll is missing on your computer, you have to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Microsoft.
Open the downloaded dmg file with a double-click. Drag and drop the file PanGet.app onto the application folder icon.
Uncompress the archive to your user bin directory. Double-click PanGet.sh.
Create a list of PANGAEA dataset IDs
there are two choices:
- a) create a list of IDs with the PANGAEA search engine
- define a query which lists all data sets needed
- change the query-URL www.pangaea.de/search?count=xxx (xxx is the number of datasets displayed)
- on Return all hits (max. 500) will be listed on one HTML-page
- Save the page as HTML-file (select HTML only as file type)
- b) create a list of IDs with the 4D client (for curators only, you need 4D)
- open the dataset table and configure the datset ID in the first column and the “Export filename” in the second one
- search for the dataset selection you want with the search tab
- save the resulting list as a text file. (Note: 4D can download a list with max. 30,000 data sets!)
Create a list of URLs
PanGet can also be used for downloading individual files from the Internet. Create a list with one or two columns. The first column has to be named "URL", the second "Filename". If the second column is not given, PanGet will be extracted the filename from the URL.
- Start PanGet or Pan2Applic or PanTool (File > Download PANGAEA datasets...) and open the file just created
- Browse to your download directory
- Set the prefered encoding of datasets to be stored
- Click Go. PanGet downloads all data sets sequentialy, progress is shown. The download time depends on the number and size of the datasets.
The resulting collection of files may be compiled and converted to other formats using the tool Pan2Applic.
Development contact Rainer Sieger, AWI