Data submissions are required to use parameters, as defined in the dictionary. Parameters are always accompanied by a unit. New parameters are defined by the data librarian on request.
The parameters related to a dataset are listed in the dataset metaheader.
Definition of parameters
Mandatory fields are underlined; unused columns and lines in import files should be deleted.
- Parameter Name contains the full name of the parameter. Parameter Name in combination with the unit must be unique in Pangaea. Parameter names have the most important specification in the beginning, followed by all describing therms in hierarchic order. Example: when dissolved organic carbon is measured, carbon is the main parameter information, followed by organic and the description of it's condition dissolved = Parameter Name Carbon, organic, dissolved. Do not use abbreviations in the parameter name. Compare the new parameter name with existing parameters and follow their syntax.
- Abbreviation or short name of the parameter; is used in the header of data sets. The Abbreviation gives a short form of the parameter name, it never contains comma. Delta notation is given by d, standard deviation and standard errors are std dev and std e. Example: abbreviation of the parameter Carbon, organic, dissolved is DOC.
- Unit should be given for all numeric-parameters and should follow standard use i.a. already existing parameter should only be defined with an other unit if the values can not be converted from one to an other. The unit does not contain chemical formulas, elements or the sampling milieu. This must be given in the Parameter name. Text-parameters have no unit, delete the unit column in import form or leave empty. Example: parameter Carbon, organic, dissolved has the unit µmol/kg not µmol C/kg.
- LowerLimit/UpperLimit can be used to define the numeric range of values in which a certain parameter will occur. An internal routine will check during the import of data for outliers and will flag them as not valid. Delete columns for text-parameters in import form or leave empty.
- Default format some predefined formats are offert by a menue but can be eddited by hand. The format should follow the general precision and will be used by the system as the default. Format can be changed during (or after) the import of data on the config card.
- Default data type of a parameter can be numeric (1), text (2), (3) DateTime given in ISO-format: YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss, (4) binary, (5) Feature, (6) URI, and (7) Event. If a text parameter is defined, no unit, format and min/max values should be given. A field of a text parameter may contain up to 255 characters. Example: Carbon, organic, dissolved [µmol/kg] is a numeric parameter.
- Default method (DefaultMethodID) is a relational field to the Method table where a required method has to be defined first. Methods defined in this field are shown during import of data by default. The default can be changed during the import procedure. Use the ID of the method for import. Example: Carbon, organic, dissolved is calculated, Method ID 50.
- Reference (ReferenceID) can be given in case a parameter was defined through a publication; relational to Reference. Use the ID of the referenceI for import. There reference is not shown in the dataset. it is better to use the URL field
- URL may contain a link to a more detailed explanation/definition of the parameter, e.g. in Wikipedia or in a paper. You can give a link or a DOI. This definition should be of general use. For species parameter the URL field will automatically filled with a link to a taxonomic database (e.g. ITIS, WORMS).
- Comment (Description) may be used for any descriptions, helpfull to other curators to understand its meaning. This is an internal info field, its content does not appear in datasets!
- Keywords may be used to define a certain parameter group for special purpose, projects or users. Keyword-related parameter lists can be produced using the DDI tool to set up a dynamic link; relational to the Thesaurus. Field not included in the parameter import form. Keywords need to be added by hand for each parameter.