Several references can be related to a data set, but in principle, real primary data should be supplementary to one reference only.
Definition of a reference
- Persistent identifier (DOI)
- Author(s): Full names
- Title: full title (not abbreviated, lower case for all words but for proper nouns, no full stop at end)
- Source: this field should be used for monographs, e.g.
- Books - In: Bleil, U & Thiede, J (eds.), Geological History of the Polar Oceans, NATO ASI Series, Kluwer Academic Publishers, London
- grey literature like special reports, etc. not published in a series
- disseration thesis, self published and issued just by the university
- Journal: full title, not abbreviated
- Volume: 53(2)
- Pages: 34-67 or 123 pp for complete books, thesis, reports etc.
- Year: publication year
- Status: contains the "prepublication" status of a reference (submitted, accepted, in review, in press).
- Serial No (optional): proprietary publication number, e.g. AWI publ No 1234 or PKDB56789
- Type: choose as appropriate from the Publication type choices list
- Keywords (optional): select from thesaurus or define new as required
Supplementary data should be submitted and imported before a paper is in press. After import and proofread of the data, the author is provided with a DOI for data citation/identification to be used in the publication. The paper should not just refer to the Pangaea domain, but give the link precisely pointing to the relevant data.
- doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.119754 as a link to one specific data set or
- doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.472208 as a link to a number of data sets (childs), grouped in a parent set or
- http://www.pangaea.de/search?q=@Ref896 (896 is the PANGAEA internal reference ID) to show many data sets related to a publication without a parent definition. This link may be used if many data sets (some thousand) are related to one reference.
For refering in a publication to its primary data, the author should refer to the data by using a note like (example):
Supplementary data are available at doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.472208