The CAMPAIGN (synonyms: cruise, expedition, leg) is related to a certain project. Campaign as the second level in the data model may be used as an option, but is recommended to more easily list separate sampling locations. Information about the CAMPAIGN apears in the metaheader of the data set under Event(s).
Basic information about CAMPAIGN
- Label of the campaign; is unique and does not contain blanks; uses abbreviations instead of full names.
- Optional label may contain any additional name(s) or labels of a campaign as free text, separated by blank.
- Basis is the station platform used for the operation of the campaign.
- Begin defines the start date of the campaign.
- End defines the end.
- Responsible scientist(s) are persons beeing responsible for a campaign.
- Project is related Project.
- Events info only; shows event labels and the number of events, related to this campaign, automatically updated by the relational system
Further information about CAMPAIGN
- Report may contain the citation of the campaigns report (e.g. cruise report).
- Comment free text for any additional information.
- URI may contain the link to a campaign web page.
- More Details contains Start Location, End Location and BSH ID of the cruise.
In some international projects (e.g. WOCE, CarboOcean), cruises of research vessels are identfied via the NODC Ship code, called EXPOCODE.
LAND CAMPAIGN naming convention of the Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI)
Since about 2018, the Alfred Wegener Institute is striving to use a harmonised and easy-to-use naming of land campaigns. The naming convention is as follows:
Already existing country codes: AK - Alaska, ANT - Antarctica, CA - Canada, FN - Finland, GL - Greenland, NO - Norway, RU - Russia
e.g. NO-Land_2020_Bayelva, RU-Land_2020_Khamra or GL-Land_2019_EGRIP
If more than one campaign was conducted in one year in the same country with the same campaign name, the season can be added, e.g. CA-Land_2019_YukonCoast_spring vs. CA-Land_2019_YukonCoast_summer
List of all land campaigns of the AWI in the Arctic: https://www.pangaea.de/expeditions/bybasis/AWI%20Arctic%20Land%20Expedition (this list was harmonized also for pre-2018 campaigns)
List of all land campaigns of the AWI in the Antarctic: https://www.pangaea.de/expeditions/bybasis/AWI%20Antarctic%20Land%20Expedition
CAMPAIGN list of ships in PANGAEA
In March 2014 the "Senatskomission Ozean" and others agreed on a common syntax for campaigns (XXnn/mm):
|X...X||Schiffsnamenskürzel | Ship short name|
|n...n||Reisenummer | Cruise number|
|/||Separation sign between cruise number and leg|
|m...m||Fahrtabschnittsnummer | Leg|
e.g.: PS80/1 or PS81 (the latter is a campaign without legs)
|Maria S. Merian||MSM|
On https://www.pangaea.de/expeditions/ PANGAEA offers lists of campaigns for selected basis (ships, aircraft) and projects. However, PANGAEA provides many more overview lists of campaigns with links to events and data contained within PANGAEA.
The following is a non-exhaustive collection of links to campaigns lists for ships with a good campaign and dataset record in PANGAEA.